Friday, October 7, 2011

Surprised by Joy

There are many things in life that affect an change us, for better or for worse.

My Mom's parents died when she was in college, at a fairly young age. My mother got angry at God, and was inactive of almost two decades. There are many experiences in life that teach us, whether for better or for worse. The difference lies in the way we respond to it.

Lewis became an atheist for the better part of His life, but when he gained a testimony of Christ, returned with a vengeance. It was interesting to read about the life of Lewis, to gain a better understanding of the themes and characters of his books as a result of looking at his life as he grew up. I love his admittance of his reluctance to take back Christianity.
"You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England."
The beauty of the gospel is that it is always there. The challenge is turning to it and admitting it is the only true way to joy. My mother eventually realized that and return to activity in the Church. I hope that I have a resevoir of testimony and faith deep enough never to have to go through that!

No comments:

Post a Comment