Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Christianity and Literature

Reading this essay gave me a better understanding of what lewis was thinking when he started to write his fictional books centered around Christian theology. while secular and Christian literature should have the same literary styles, it is in the message it conveys, much as the Savior did, that makes the difference. Lewis makes a good point when he says that that the Savior's words seemed beautifully poetic to us, and part of that based on the fact that He is a perfect being. To phrases in this piece stop out to me.

First was Lewis' interpretation of Paul's epistle, when he said that "God is to Christ as Christ is yo man an man is to woman, and the relation between each term and the next is that of the head." I think that that is one thing that Lewis could not fully grasp because He did not understand the Trinity. It could not reconcile with his understanding that we could become Gods. That is the beauty of the Restoration.

The second quote, I absolutely love. In quoting Homer's Phemius, he said:   
I am self-taught; a god has inspired me with all manner of songs.' It sounds like a direct contradiction. How can he be self-taught if the god has taught him all he knows? Doubtless because the God's instruction is given internally, not through the senses, and is therefore regarded as part of the self..."
The gifts that God has given us are all within us to use, to learn ang grow and develop. I hope that I always remember that it is God that inspires me in each thing that I do everyday. He is, in every way, the way, the truth, and the life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment