Thursday, November 24, 2011

Shadowlands

Having spent the semester reading a good number of Lewis' books, I was a little less excited to read a play about him. 1. I normally prefer watching plays, or so I thought 2. It wasn't written by Lewis. I was pleasantly surprised as I enjoyed the play thoroughly. It was fascinating to be able to read about Lewis through the words of another, and how his life might have unfolded. As the playwright quoted from Lewis', and seemed to do his best to stay true to Lewis' life, it was a nice, intimate glimpse at a life of one whom I admire very much.

The progression seen in Lewis' character as he interacts with Joy's letters, and then Joy herself, reminded me that we are all people, including Lewis, which is perhaps why he had such great insight into life and the human condition.

My favorite line and imagery was this, that ""we're like blocks of stone, out of which the sculptor carves the forms of men. The blows of His chisel, which hurt so much, are what makes us perfect." 


Hopefully I can remember that always. 



No comments:

Post a Comment